Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Google Smarts Up in Security

This post is going to be short as I am preparing for my trip to the World Science Festival tomorrow. Luckily, I was able to find another mentor, so now my whole week will be filled with much science and engineering. Hopefully I will get a post with pictures out next week after it's all blown over. Anyway, on to the post:
Google before it decided not to join the dark side.
Tweetmeme reports and other news mediums show that Google has finally dumped Windows (and supposedly Facebook as well). If you want to run Windows in Google, you now need permission from the CIO, otherwise it's a no-go. On one hand I have to congratulate Google in finally making a stand for a more secure operating system. I would rather have somebody run Apple than Windows in terms of security. On the other hand, I have to ask: what took so long? The China hacks have been water under the bridge for months now, and it took them this long to finally realize that maybe running Windows is a bad idea for a company with so much power and information. Another issue I have is that this is the only step they are taking. Why not put in other precautions, such as a new authentication system.

And finally, why did Google not publicize it more? This would be the perfect opportunity to show off their ability to repair what needs to be fixed and maybe gain some trust with those weary Google Apps adapters who are concerned about security in Google. Anyway, just another failed PR opportunity on Google's part. They really need to step up the marketing department a bit. Advertising does not have to be just a source of revenue for an advertising company.

No comments:

Post a Comment